- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour (grind quinoa in a spice mill to make the flour)
- 1/3 cup unrefined turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment. Place the oats, quinoa flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg in a food processor fitted with the steel blade, and pulse several times to combine. Add the butter, and pulse until the butter is evenly distributed throughout the grain mix. The mixture should have a crumbly consistency.
2. Spread the topping over the parchment-covered baking sheet in an even layer. Place in the oven, and bake 10 minutes. Rotate the pan front to back, stir the mixture and bake another 5 to 10 minutes until nicely browned. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool. You can keep this in the freezer for several weeks in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Yield: Makes a little over 2 cups, enough for one crumble serving eight made in a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
Nutritional information per serving: 194 calories; 10 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 23 milligrams cholesterol; 23 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 101 milligrams sodium; 3 grams protein