Enjoy Meatless Monday with this amazing recipe…
(Makes 24 servings)
- 6 ounces thin rice stick noodles or vermicelli
- 24 round rice paper wrappers
- 1 ½ heads Boston lettuce
- 2 carrots, shredded or grated
- ¾ cup mint leaves, coarsely shredded
- ¾ cup cilantro leaves, coarsely shredded
- Peanut sauce
1. Bring 3 quarts of water to boil. Add noodles, swish around and cook 1 minute. Drain, refresh under cold running water and drain again.
2. Remove core from lettuce. Separate leaves, rinse and drain well, then press each leaf to flatten. Spread out a cotton dishtowel on a work surface. Place noodles, lettuce leaves, carrots, mint and cilantro within easy reach.
3. Fill a wide dish or pan with hot water. Dip one wrapper in hot water several seconds, until beginning to soften. (Wrapper may be stiff but will soften as you work.) Spread wrapper on towel. Place a lettuce leaf over the bottom third of the wrapper. Top with about 2 T. rice noodles and 1 T. carrots. Add mint leaves and cilantro. Arrange 2 or 3 shrimp halves, cut side down, in a row across the top of the folded section. Roll into a tight cylinder. Place on platter and cover with a moist towel.
Serve cold with Peanut Sauce.
Spicy Peanut Sauce
Makes ¾ cup
- 2 T. smooth peanut butter
- 1 ½ t. tomato paste
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 t. sugar
- 1/3 c. water
- 1 t. safflower or corn oil
- 1 ½ t. minced garlic
- 1 t. crushed red pepper
In a small bowl, combine peanut butter, tomato paste, hoisin, sugar and water. Blend until smooth. Heat a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil, heat until hot and add garlic and red pepper. Fry 5 seconds. Add peanut butter mixture, stir to blend and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be covered and refrigerated for up to a week. Note: Chopped peanuts may be sprinkled on top.