Spinach Salad With The WorksOctober 22, 2015
A classic time-honored salad that is just the thing for picnics and tailgate parties! Enjoy and… Go Royals!
- 1 cup salad oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, fresh, peeled, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups spinach, fresh, stems removed, thoroughly washed, dried
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or dried cherries)
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 to 6 slices bacon, cooked, drained, crumbled
- ½ cup almonds, toasted, slivered
For the dressing, in a container with a tight fitting lid add oil, sugar, vinegar, garlic, salt, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cover and shake well to mix well. (Dressing may be made up to one week ahead of time and stored in refrigerator.) Set aside.
To assemble salad, in a large salad bowl add spinach, cranberries, cheese, onions, bacon, and almonds. Pour dressing over top and toss to combine. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
If you have extra spinach, try sautéing a little minced garlic in olive oil, then adding coarsely chopped spinach leaves. Sauté just until leaves begin to be limp. This makes a flavorful side dish with almost any main course entrée.