Brats at your tailgate? That’s so been done. Want to really wow them at your game party? Try these bratwurst sliders instead. Go Royals!
- 5 bacon strips, thick-sliced, chopped
- 1 pound bratwurst links, uncooked
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup beer, good quality
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 16 slider buns, split, toasted
Preheat a cast iron skillet over coals of grill, medium high heat.
In the skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings.
Remove the casings from the bratwurst by making a slit lengthwise. Form into ½-inch thick and 2-inch diameter patties. Add the patties and onions to the skillet with reserved drippings, and cook over medium heat for 1 minute or until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove patties and set aside to drain.
Immediately stir the cream cheese, beer, mustard and pepper into the skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in reserved bacon.
Makes 16 sliders