Here’s Your New Favorite Asian Noodle Salad!April 29, 2015
Sesame Cashew Chicken Salad
We served this Asian-inspired dish over angel hair pasta today at Tuesday Lunch, along with steamed edamame, Inside Out Crab Rangoon Dip with crispy Wonton Chips and Pandan Pudding. It makes a beautiful presentation, and it tastes great too!
- 6 chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons Chinese Five Spice
- ½ cup shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves plus more, for garnish
- 3 cups orange segments, peeled, pith & seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate (or 1/3 cup orange juice)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup almonds
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 pound angel hair pasta, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons mushroom base
- ¼ cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or Sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup roasted cashews, divided
For the chicken, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle chicken with Chinese Five Spice (can be done day before). Place in a baking dish and transfer to the oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until internal temp is 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from oven and set aside to cool; then dice into strips or bite-sized pieces and set aside.
In a food processor, add shallots, 1 cup cilantro, orange segments, orange juice, honey, and vinegar. Cover and pulse into small bits, but not superfine. Remove place in a bowl. Add the almonds, orange zest and diced chicken. Stir to combine and set aside.
Start the water boiling for the pasta. Toss the pasta into the pan of boiling water and cook to al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, in a blender, add mushroom base, water, tamari, vinegar, oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, honey, and 1/3 cup of the cashews. Blend until well mixed and set aside.
To serve, drain the pasta and transfer to a serving bowl. Add the dressing and toss to combine well. Serve with the chicken on top of pasta or to the side. Top with the remaining 2/3 cups cashews and cilantro, for garnish. Serve warm.
Makes 6-8 servings.