Spicy Cucumber SaladMarch 3, 2015
- 1 cucumber, washed, ends removed, sliced into ¼-1/8-inch pieces (preferably English)
- ½ to ¾ cup rice vinegar *
- 2 dashes apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Korean red pepper paste (Gochujang)
- 2 teaspoons red chili peppers (Gochugaru-Korean style, fine powder – not cayenne pepper)
- ½ teaspoon garlic, fresh, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 dashes salt
On a cutting board spread cucumber slices in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for at least 15 minutes or until water starts to form on them.
In a 1-1/2 quart mixing bowl add rice and apple cider vinegars, red pepper paste, red chili peppers, garlic, sugar, oil, and salt. Set aside.
Press cucumber slices with a paper towel to remove water (or cheesecloth). Transfer cucumbers to a bowl and add the marinade. Stir to coat and set aside to marinate for at least 1 hour before serving. (Cucumbers may start to be a bit limp, but do not let them get soggy due to vinegar.) Store leftover cucumbers in the refrigerator in a plastic container with only a little bit of the liquid. Makes 4 servings
* COOK’S NOTE: Use ½ cup rice vinegar for small to medium-size cucumber; ¾ cup for larger size.