Grilled Bison Steak with Caramelized Onion & Spinach Couscous SaladMarch 23, 2010
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds Bison (ribeye or sirloin) steak
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz of spinach left whole if small, sliced if large leaves
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large or 2 medium yellow onions, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups couscous
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c dried cherries (optional)
- 2 Scallions sliced (optional)
Heat a nonstick frying pan or grill pan over high heat. Rub the steak with the 1 Tbsp olive oil, then sprinkle well with pepper. Cook the meat to desired doneness (about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, 2-inch thick steaks). Set aside, covered, when done.
Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and the sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, about 12 to 15 minutes, until onions are soft and golden brown. Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan. Add couscous, bring to a boil and summer covered for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Combine the mustard, the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil, the lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Fluff up the couscous with a fork, then toss with the olive oil mixture. Add the onions and spinach and stir to combine.
To serve, place couscous mixture on a plate. Slice the steak on the diagonal and place the slices over the couscous. If any beef juices have collected in the bottom of the pan, pour them over the top. Top with scallion slices if using.