- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ tsp dried or 1 tsp fresh thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked (or canned if you’re short on time) black-eyed peas
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
To make the vinaigrette, cook the diced bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Drain off the fat from the pan and return to medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, sauté until softened, add thyme. Add the vinegar and stir to deglaze the pan. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Add the oil, black-eyed peas, cooked bacon, salt, and pepper, and stir to mix well. Serve warm. (Any leftover vinaigrette can be refrigerated for up to 3 days; reheat gently before using.)